Friday 8 January 2016

Thai Noodle Lettuce Wraps (Vegan)




As I spent today making a What I Eat in a Day video for my Youtube Channel (probably going to be next Thursdays video!) I thought I’d quickly write up one of my favourite lunchtime recipes right now. While I'm not the most seasonal of eater (this is such a summer meal!) there are two things you probably need to know about the food I eat if you didn’t know. I like Asian flavours and I eat a plant based. So these lettuce wraps are right up my street!

This recipe is actually a variation of one I used to eat when I ate meat based on this Thai Beef Salad recipe I saw on the Londoner years ago. I'm omitting the meat and adding rice wine vinegar instead of fish sauce which creates an authentic asian flavour but vegan friendly.  I make my version of Thai dressing all the time to pour over things like Broccoli and Pak Choi. It's delicious!

They also only take about 10 minutes to make and most of that time is the noodles cooking. These  are also low calorie and for a portion of lettuce wraps it comes in at about 230 calories. Plus they are a really tasty quick to make for lunch. I tend to make 2/3 portions of the salad mix and the noodles as they both last a few days in the fridge! Let me know if you make these and what you think of them!

Ingredients

For the Sauce
1tsp of Rice Wine Vinegar
2tsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 or 2 Cloves of crushed Garlic
1tsp Agave Nectar or Sugar 
Juice of 1 Lime
Chilli (fresh or dried) if desired

For the Salad
Half a Cucumber
1-2 Large Tomatoes
Half a Red Onion
3 Spring Onions
1 Stick of Lemongrass

Rice Noodles  (75g per portion)
Iceberg Lettuce

  1. Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
  2. Cook noodles as per instructions of the packet and then drain. Dunk the noodles in cold water to remove starch and cool them down quickly.
  3. While the noodles are cooking chop up all your salad ingredients into small pieces. They don't need to be precise just bitesize! Pour over the salad dressing and mix. It's ready to eat straight away but leaving it a hour to marinate will help the flavours infuse.
  4. Tear off leaves of Iceberg lettuce into large pieces suitable for wrapping.
  5. Then you just pop a scoop of the noodles and a bit of the salad mix and roll it up like a wrap and then eat! If you wanted to you could keep some of the dressing aside to use as a dipping sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are welcome

Follow Me