Sunday 25 May 2014

CARL FROCH EXCLUSIVE: I fight to secure my family's future... and I'm not done yet

There is a wistful look on the chiselled features of Carl Froch as he holds his year-old daughter Natalia on his lap.
George Groves would be unwise to seize upon the tender mood of this photograph, taken by Froch’s partner Rachael Cordingley, as indication that the man he is about to fight in front of 80,000 people is going soft in his sixth year as a world champion.
The moment is poignant because Froch has been rationing his cherished family time to the barest minimum during his two-and-a-half months of preparation for the re-match which will fill Wembley Stadium to throbbing capacity on Saturday night.
Family time: Carl Froch takes a break from training to spend time with his baby Natalia ahead of his re-match with George Groves at Wembley next weekend
Family time: Carl Froch takes a break from training to spend time with his baby Natalia ahead of his re-match with George Groves at Wembley next weekend

Baby Natalia was a distraction for the Nottingham Cobra prior to his controversial first fight with Groves in November. Now she has grown into an intense, additional incentive for him to put down the abrasive challenge from his fellow Englishman, this time for good and all.
‘I don’t like being away from Rachael and the kids,’ says Froch. ‘I didn’t think that sacrifice was necessary for the first fight with Groves so I stayed at home while training.
The message is clear: Froch in his gym in Sheffield with the message 'Impossible is nothing' on the wall

‘That was one of the corners I cut which made that night more difficult for me than it should have been. I’m not making that mistake again.’
The holder of the IBF and WBA super-middleweight titles has been spending most of his nights in spartan accommodation in Sheffield, submitting himself to the punishing regime devised by his trainer Rob McCracken.
The diet is as disciplined as the extreme physical demands and the absolute concentration on the tactical and technical details of their fight plan.
At the end of a hard day spent with him in the gym at the English Sports Institute, where McCracken also nurtures the British Olympians who landed a shoal of medals at the London Games, he allows himself a visit to a local Italian restaurant.
This rare treat amounts to half a chicken breast ‘grilled plain, no oil’ and a small side salad ‘no lettuce, one ounce of vinegar dressing on the side  just in case’ washed down with chilled water.
Not that this man o’ war ever has difficult scaling on or below the 12 stone limit: ‘Nah, I could come in on the weight in the morning and wish I could fight him tomorrow night.’
Rather, he keeps himself lean and hungry as he continues to consolidate his family’s future.
The Forbes Rich List estimates Froch’s net worth as between $20 to $30 million (£12m-£18m). Whatever the exact figure, the record Wembley gate for boxing and Sky pay-TV sales will boost it by at least £5m.
He has earned every penny and dime the hard way. This second encounter with Groves is his 12th  consecutive world championship fight and he has slugged it out with all the finest super-middleweights on earth, beating all but one of them.
On the back foot: Froch admits he was not at his best when he fought Groves last year
On the back foot: Froch admits he was not at his best when he fought Groves last year

Flat on his back: Froch was put on the canvas by Groves in the first round last time
Flat on his back: Froch was put on the canvas by Groves in the first round last time

Yet it took him time to catch the public imagination and build his earnings base.
He recalls: ‘I got about thirty grand for each of my first couple of title fights. But I didn’t waste the money. I bought two small houses in a part of Nottingham which wasn’t very fashionable at the time and rented them out. They’ve paid for themselves now.’
The Froch property portfolio has grown in parallel with his rise in purse-power and he says: ‘First I had Rachael and myself to look after. Then my great lad Rocco came along and now we have Natalia as this lovely extra reminder to me to provide for them for the rest of their lives.
‘I’m fighting for the future of the whole family and I’m not done yet. Not by a long chalk.’
Nor is money the only spur. Fighting passion burns deep inside this man of war-hardened Polish descent, as does pride in being a world champion.
Warrior spirit: Froch clawed his way back into the fight and put pressure on Groves
Warrior spirit: Froch clawed his way back into the fight and put pressure on Groves

Controversial ending: Referee Howard Foster stopped the fight in Froch's favour in the ninth round
Controversial ending: Referee Howard Foster stopped the fight in Froch's favour in the ninth round

It is those professional instincts which reinforce the most resilient chin in the prize-ring, that granite jaw which enables him to get up from sledge-hammer punches like the one with which Groves floored him in the first round in November and hit back to win.
As Froch is pushing himself in training Anthony Joshua, Britain’s super-heavyweight Olympic champion, arrives at the sports centre to help prepare some of McCracken’s GB team for this summer’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
Joshua is excited to be on the Wembley undercard but he jokes with Froch: ‘Not getting as much as you.’
Froch grins and says: ‘Don’t worry about the money yet Big Josh. I wasn’t earning a lot when I became world champion. I’m getting my rewards now. Concentrate on the prize. For you that’s the world heavyweight title. Get that and everything else follows.’
Start of the journey: Anthony Joshua has set out on his quest to become heavyweight champion of the world
Start of the journey: Anthony Joshua has set out on his quest to become heavyweight champion of the world

But lose those belts and Froch, at coming up 37, knows it would be a hard road back to the summit.
That is one reason why he is pounding the Tarmac with dervish zeal.
The furore over his somewhat premature stoppage of Groves, when Saint George of London was ahead on the scorecards going into the ninth round, has resulted in a return bout which will smash to smithereens all box office records for boxing in Britain.
The controversy also drives Froch on and up the lung-bursting hills of his regular dawn runs. And no corner-cutting this time.
Showing his class: Froch beat Danish boxer Mikkel Kessler in their re-match at the O2 last year
Showing his class: Froch beat Danish boxer Mikkel Kessler in their re-match at the O2 last year

Brutal: Froch beat Lucian Bute in emphatic style back in 2012
Brutal: Froch beat Lucian Bute in emphatic style back in 2012

He says: ‘Groves tries to make fun of me keeping my charts and diaries. Well, sport is a science now, George.
‘Before our first fight I didn’t get close to my best times. Now I’m going five or six seconds faster, partly  by accelerating to the top of the steepest gradient of all, a 1 in 4.
‘I couldn’t believe it when I broke my own records.’
If you don’t apply the science, Froch discovered five months ago, the human fighting machine slows down.
‘I have to be honest with you,’ he says. ‘I did most of my running last time on the treadmill. No matter what anyone tries to tell you, it’s not the same.
Hold it together: Groves tries to get into Froch's head by whispering in his ear
Hold it together: Groves tries to get into Froch's head by whispering in his ear

Push off: Froch's head to head with Groves turned physical at Wembley earlier in the year
Push off: Froch's head to head with Groves turned physical at Wembley earlier in the year

‘I took Groves for granted. I was only at 80 per cent of my best.  If he thinks it will be the same fight over again he’s in for a big surprise.
‘My resting pulse rate is back down to 36, I feel again the way  I’ve usually felt since I became world champion. Like never mind 12 rounds,  I’m your old-fashioned 15-round fighter.
‘Not George.  He did well for six rounds against me but then the tide turned. He weakened as I got back into it. He can’t take the pressure. As I began hitting him with big shots he crumbled. Maybe it was stopped early but it was only a matter of time.
‘He’s one of those who goes into the 10th, 11th and 12th rounds seeing the finishing line and hoping to get through it. Not when you’re a world champion. Not me. That’s when I’m coming to get you.’
Froch admits allowed Groves to get under his skin with his mind games, lost his temper and his focus. He has responded by employing a sports psychologist to ensure he fights with his brain not his emotions on Saturday.
Support: Froch is backed every step of the way by his partner Rachael Cordingley
Support: Froch is backed every step of the way by his partner Rachael Cordingley

Glamour couple: Rachel Cordingley and Carl Froch at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards
Beauty and the beast: Rachael Cordingley poses with Froch
Glamour couple: Froch and Rachael have been together for a number of years

What does Groves keep whispering in his ear?
‘He keeps telling me to try to hold it together,’ says Froch. ‘Hold it together? How many world title fights have I had? He’s had the one and even at my worst I found a way to beat him.
‘So I'm cool now. He no longer bothers me. I’m only interested in being on top of my game and boxing a smart fight.’
Groves has come across as bright and articulate - Machiavellian even - during their grating exchanges.
Froch is intelligent, too. That depth is evident when you ask if he thinks Groves is truly convinced when he says he is certain to win second time around.
The Cobra hisses: ‘I like this quotation: You can’t get a fool to question his wisdom.’
Other questions were left hanging in the chill Manchester night air when referee Howard Foster abruptly interrupted their violent dialogue.
Froch believes he has all the answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are welcome

Follow Me