Thursday 30 April 2015

Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches (yes, this is happening)

Los Angeles is a city of dreams. It proves itself to be worthy of this name in so many ways, but last week I discovered a culinary delight that truly defines the term "dream-worthy." Only this is no dream, people... Macaron ice cream sandwiches are a reality and they are being served at The Milk Shop in Los Angeles

Of course I had heard about The Milk Shop before. Every Los Angeles resident I know had mentioned this to me as a must try. However, they only ever said that the ice cream sandwiches and cookies were  to die for. Naturally, I thought the ice cream sandwiches would be wonderful because they incorporated the cookies. That option is available too, but the bestsellers seem to be the ice cream filled gigantic macarons. Who knew? And who could have anticipated how absolutely scrumptious they would be? 

As I waited in line at The Milk Shop on Beverly (there are two, the other located in Silver Lake), I listened in on every order I could make out. People here were regulars. They were ordering ice cream sandwiches or milkshakes like they order their coffees at Starbucks in the morning. First order: The Everyday with Red Velvet and Nutella, hot fudge and hold the cherry. Second Order: Root Beer Float with an added "Don't worry, dude, I already got the Root Beer from fridge." Third Order: A dozen Ooey Gooey Double Chocolate Cookies (yes, he said the full name, not just "those cookies" with a pointed finger). And finally my order: The Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream Sandwich and the Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Sandwich, both to go. Somehow the shame of ordering two sandwiches to sample got the best of me. Call it the LA good body shame cycle. So I took it all to go and photographed the macarons on the run from the car. 

Now here's my verdict. It's a one word job, as that's all that's really needed. So here we go: MAGICAL. Yes, ice cream and macarons is a combination that is quite simply heavenly in the Los Angeles heat. The purchases should come with a warning however- it's nearly impossible to finish even one. I had a few bites of each to say that I had and to accurately review the offering. I mean the things I do to keep things new and fresh on this blog, people. But, in all honesty, I couldn't have finished even one, without a bit of effort. Oh, who the hell am I trying to impress? Had I not just had lunch, I probably would have sat in the car like a gluttonous maniac and eaten both in under ten. 

The Milk Shop is a must visit if you are heading to Los Angeles in the near future, people. 

Now, onto the photo diary of the whole experience... as you do...






No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are welcome

Follow Me