Thursday 29 October 2015

Shoe of the month: Valentino 'Rockstud 100mm'



It’s time to dip into another ‘shoe of the month’ feature, this time we are discussing nothing less than the iconic Valentino Rockstud pumps. These have been around for years, I’m sure you’ve come across a version as they come in three heights (the high heel, kitten and ballerinas) in an endless variety of colours and finishes from block heeled gladiators to knee-high boots, the list gones oOonn.

After seeing these maybe too many times over-accessorized, I though I was getting allergic to the shoe often worn as a proof of wealth, I guess these could be named the shoe version of a Chanel bag. My affection started growing only about a year ago when I heard countless times how comfortable the Rockstuds are. Skeptical and with way too much experience of painful footwear, I did some investigation only to discover that nothing proves a heels comfort better than a beat-up, danced-out pair of pumps, which is how I discovered the Rockstuds on fellow international party girls. That’s when I knew that a shoe that looks like it belongs to a Princess but can stand repeated all nighters, had to be mine.

Dressing down this jazzy shoe is key, I wear them mostly with pants or a black dress, gathering compliments (especially from men, hello) every time I wear them. For a two-toned, patent shoe with golden studs, I finds myself wearing these surprisingly often. However they are definitely more ‘dress up’ shoes, which explains why I’ve only featured these once on the blog before. Admittedly, they are not the most fashion forward shoe on the market, but definitely one of the most beautiful. With that said my next purchase will be the same shoes in a all nude finish, the newness of a kitten heel is something that interest me at the moment, we’ll see if I can come to terms with choosing a kitten heel over the high heeled version, oh the horror!

Comfort: 5/5
One of my most comfortable pair, you completely forget you are wearing these and the adjust to your feet after on the first wear.
Quality: 3.5/5
After my first day of wearing these the stitching came apart on the side step so I had to exchange my pair. Unfortunately I’ve heard a few similar stories by other Rockstud owners. I could also be blamed for being a somewhat of a hardcore wearer, so I recommend the more durable patent finish.
Purchase price: €690 from the Valentino store in Paris in February 2015.
The price varies from £580-£1237 depending on the finish and style. Mytheresa and LouisaviaRoma has a great selection on their site.
Sizing: Runs true to size.
I bought these in a 37, my usual size and they have stayed perfect without too much stretching. The adjustable strap will keep the foot in place even if it were to stretch on you foot. Compared to Prada or Saint Laurent, there run half a size smaller, so if you are in-between, go up.
Photos by Mikko Puttonen




No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are welcome

Follow Me